If you’re considering studying abroad in the UK, Scotland is one option that definitely shouldn't be overlooked. From a high-quality education to an incredible culture and diverse location, studying abroad in Scotland will give a unique and rewarding education and experience.
Benefits of studying abroad in Scotland
As part of the UK, the education system in Scotland is globally recognised and is respected for its high-quality teaching standards and excellent results. Studying abroad in Scotland means you will benefit from a four-year degree course (opposed to the standard three years in the rest of the UK), giving you a chance to experience a range of subjects before settling on your chosen specialism. You can also study additional subjects alongside your degree major, giving you a flexible education.
A unique location
Scotland offers the best of everything when it comes to location. From vibrant and welcoming cities, such as Glasgow and Edinburgh, to breathtaking landscapes for you to explore in your free time. With beautiful lochs and beaches and bustling cities with an abundance of entertainment options, you’ll never have a dull moment.
Not only that, but Scotland makes a perfect base to explore the rest of Europe – you’re just a short distance from a handful of major European cities. London is just an hour's flight away and you can reach Paris in just two hours.
You won’t be alone when it comes to studying abroad in Scotland. In 2018, at least 21% of students in Scotland’s universities were international students (The Impact of International Students in Scotland). With 50,000 students from over 180 countries coming to study in Scotland every year, you’ll make lifelong friends and connections from all backgrounds and cultures.
An abundance of culture
Scotland offers a wealth of culture for you to embrace and explore. With a rich heritage and history, vibrant festivals and celebrations, there’s lots for you to experience. From over 250 museums and 100 galleries, to numerous castles and theatres, Scotland offers something for everyone to enjoy.
Universities in Scotland are internationally known for their world-leading research and researchers at these universities have been responsible for many life and world-changing innovations. Thanks to outstanding research at Scottish universities, you will benefit from world-class facilities and innovative teaching.
Why choose Strathclyde?
Once you’ve decided that you want to study abroad in Scotland, the University of Strathclyde will be calling you for a multitude of reasons. Located in the heart of the city of Glasgow and as one of the leading technology universities in the UK, there are plenty of reasons why Strathclyde is the university for you:
- The University of Strathclyde is ranked 15th in the UK by The Guardian University Guide 2021
- Strathclyde also has a range of subjects ranked in the UK top 10 (The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2021)
- High employability - 94% of graduates were in work or study six months after graduation (provided by the University of Strathclyde Strategy & Policy team 2018)
- Glasgow provides the perfect balance of culture and beauty
How to study abroad in Scotland?
Now you’ve made your decision to study in Scotland and want to settle into life in the UK and improve your academic and English language skills, the University of Strathclyde International Study Centre is the place to start. Our pathway programmes combine subject-specific modules with English language lessons to prepare you for an undergraduate or postgraduate degree at the University of Strathclyde.
The International Study Centre offers you support and the preparation you need to transition to degree study in Scotland. Your preparation programme will be taught on the University campus and introduce you to the University’s style of teaching whilst you adjust to your new surroundings in Scotland.
What pathway programme should I study?
What subject you want to study your degree in, what your English language level is and whether you’re looking to study for your undergraduate or postgraduate degree, will direct what programme is best for you. You can learn more about each pathway on the links below.
Undergraduate level programmes
- Undergraduate Foundation Programme - pathway to the second year of a four-year undergraduate degree (some exceptions may apply). You can choose between two routes: Business and Social Sciences or Engineering and Sciences
- International Year One BBA - pathway to the second year of a three-year Bachelor of Business Administration degree
- International Year Two - an accelerated route to the third year of a four-year Civil Engineering degree
Postgraduate level programmes
- Pre-Masters Programmes - pathway to a postgraduate degree in a range of subjects. Depending on your IELTS level and how you'd like to study, we offer three variations of the Pre-Masters Programme:
English language programmes
- English language preparation - improve your English level before starting your International Study Centre programme, for both undergraduate and postgraduate level students